Sunday, December 17, 2006

Visa-less in BK

Hey all -

Things have been a bit slow on the SA front for the moment. I have a week left at work, and lots to do to get everything in order before then.

Most recently I have been trying to decide if I want to go to SA on a tourist visa or to obtain temporary residence visa. It looks like the documents required to apply for temporary residence are complicated and confusing - and it's not absolutely necessary, I've been told. However, do I really want to have to leave SA once every 90 days, as I would have to do if I went on a tourist visa? I would just have to cross over the border into Swaziland, Mozambique, or even Lesotho (I think) - but I worry that I would always be running the risk of not being allowed back any number of unforeseen reasons.

Here's a map for people who are as unfamiliar with African geography as I was 3 months ago (click to enlarge)


When I asked the HIV Programmes Co-ordinator (for those who might have not realised: SA uses British English spelling), she told me that she has not known of people applying for temporary resident status, and wasn't sure of delays or bureaucracy it might entail. I'll give the SA consulate in New York a call a bit later this week; maybe they'll be helpful in figuring out this quandary.

And on an unrelated note, here are the albums I've 'picked up' (Beg, Borrow, Steal is how any good music collection is assembled at this point) since I put up since that last post:

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Buena Vista Social Club - Rhythms del Mundo
James Brown - Live at the Apollo (1968)
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers - Damn the Torpedoes

And now I'm off to enjoy the last few hours of daylight of this gorgeous December(!?) weekend.

b

No comments: