Friday, March 2, 2007

Birfday!

In celebration of my impending birthday, I have invited a whole cadre of semi-acquaintances, demi-friends, and co-workers out for dinner and drinks on Saturday night at a restaurant/bar called Bean Bag Bohemia on Florida Road – one of the most happening strips in Durban. Usually, I’m a bit nervous before any party I throw; I find it a bit nerve-wracking to wonder if my friends will show up, will they show up on time, is someone else throwing a better party, &c. However, in this instance, I don’t really know these people all that well – and this is liberating in a particular way. Sure, I’d love it if they came out, but it wouldn’t really faze me if they didn’t, as I’m not all that friendly with them. It’s an interesting experience having a birthday far away from home, surrounded by those you don’t feel all that close with; I’m reminded of those people who had birthdays that fell in the first few weeks of college, when we hadn’t yet formed any long-standing connections with our classmates.

This isn’t to say that I haven’t been meeting loads of interesting people. In fact, I’ve encountered a whole new set of exciting people this week. And some of them have invited me for a braii at their house tonight. And I’ve found out the exact date that I’m picking up my new (to me) car. And I think I’ve found the apartment that I’m going to me moving into come April. So, all in all this has been quite a nice week – and quite a relief after the difficulties of this past weekend.

Alright, I’m done for the day. I hope you all have wonderful weekends, and I’ll catch you on the flip side. Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

And what is a braii? Oh, you must mean a braai!

You have a long way to go, young padawan learner.

;)

Rick Mandler said...

Happy Birthday nephew number one!

Anonymous said...

Imagine we're singing it: Happy Birthday!
Miss your face.
Love,
M&D
(you don't know who we are 'cause we posted this anonymously....ha!)