Thursday, May 24, 2007

I'm not a player, I just crush a lot

Oh yeah - I meant to mention this before, but it entirely slipped my mind. My homeboy, Dr. Atul Gawande, is a guest columnist over at the New York Times this month. I know I've waxed poetic about the many virtues of his writing in previous posts, but these editorial pieces that he's writing for the Times in May - while perhaps not as thorough or gripping as his other, longer works I've read - are smart, imminently digestible, and contain many interesting insights into the health care crisis in America.

Unfortunately, some of these articles are behind the ever-irritating Times Select paywall - but I'll take a look around and see if they are being published elsewhere. In the meantime, let me know if you'd like to get your hands on these editorials - and I would be happy to send them your way. The titles and brief descriptions of his writings so far are posted below for you to take a look at.

Rethinking Old Age
We don’t much talk about getting more control over our lives in nursing homes. And that’s a problem.

Let’s Talk About Sex
The four facts everyone needs to know about sex and contraception.

Doctors, Drugs And the Poor
The practice of medicine comes with certain moral obligations. The same goes for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals.

Bad Medicine, Sneaking In
Medicine’ s success and affordability critically depend on materials and distribution from around the globe. Yet market forces aren’t weeding out the shady operators.

Curing The System
It is possible to alter our health care system surgically enough to minimize harm while still channeling us onto a path out of our misery.

Can This Patient Be Saved?
Our health care system has eroded badly, but it has not collapsed. So we do nothing.

The Power Of Negative Thinking
We Americans believe instinctively in the power of positive thinking. But the real key is looking for, and sometimes expecting, failure.

1 comment:

CB said...

what up benny - you get free Times Select if you have a .edu email address these days. at least i signed up for it when that was going on. hope all is well, let's catch up soon - i got good stories for ya.