Sunday, January 6, 2008

El Tango Argentino


Last night, Nate's family friend and su novio took us out to one of the oldest milongas (tango clubs) in all of Buenos Aires, the Sunderland Club. We sat for a giant dinner of delicious Argentine steaks - which were perhaps even more delicious than the ones I had with my family at Peter Luger's in the Bk last week - at half past midnight. After washing it all down with a couple of bottles of delicious locally grown Malbec, we moved into the converted gym next door where the party was already in full swing.

I can't really do the dancing justice in the few minutes I have this morning, but it was increible. The argentine tango is dramatic, sexy, and transcends all age barriers. The grace with which the dancers move across the floor is stunning. The young, the old, the beautiful, and the not-so-beautiful sliding across the floor with confident turns.

Generally, the women seemed to close their eyes, preferring to be led entirely by feel. The couples' heads are tucked in - almost as if to kiss - as they fly around the stage. The basic moves of the dance are deceptively simple - but there were a few inexperienced dancers out there who allowed us some insight into how hard the whole business actually is.

I caught a couple good pictures, which I'll try to put up eventually. This was the sort of experience that really makes you want to try it yourself (more than partially because good dancers seemed entirely irresistible to the beautiful women dotted throughout the club). Maybe we can try and get some basic lessons before this trip is over.

Today or tomorrow we're headed out of Buenos Aires. Our first stop: Rosario, one of the other major cities in Argentina. We'll use this as a jumping off point to head further north and west into the Andes, where we'll probably do some good hiking and visit Che Guevara's birthplace.

Alright, it's time for me to hit the shower before heading out for the day. Nate managed to get in touch with an ex-girlfriend of his who coincidently has been living in BA for the past year plus., The world is getting smaller and smaller, kids. Happy Sunday, and I'll write more when I can. Peace out.

No comments: