Opening Day
My trip into Lesotho was pretty spectacular. The country is extraordinarily beautiful, extremely impoverished, and full of extremely challenging terrain for a group of five macho men (or - more accurately - four and one poseur) to hike, trek, bike, and climb. Pictures will be forthcoming, but the trip was a perfect blend of outdoor activities and ARV clinic/orphanage visits; I'm still digesting a lot of what I took in over the course of the past 4 days. And, best of all, I was able to renew my visa at the SA border on the way home - giving me another 90 days of being a legal resident here.
However, what I am most excited about today is that the Yankees are playing their season opener against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at 1:05pm EST this afternoon. I haven't been able to stay on top of all of the off-season moves that we've (yes 'WE' - it's the only way to talk when you're a fan) made - and I'm particularly confused about why the inimitably mediocre Carl Pavano is our Opening Day starting pitcher - but I am quite stoked about the 2007 baseball season. I think it has something to do with being so far away from home, but the thought of listening to baseball broadcasts and reading daily box scores sounds quite comforting to me at the moment. Don't worry, I've already purchased my MLB.com radio subscription, and will be listening to as many games as I can while I'm here. I might even be back in the States in time for the post-season; hopefully the Yanks will still be in it at that point.
I'm off to go buy some things for the Seder I'm going to tonight. It's been a little bit tricky finding matzah and macaroons here in Durban, but I think I've finally tracked them down. Happy Passover, and I'll be back again soon with some pictures from my trip and some more thoughts about life, health, and the state(s) of affairs here in Southern Africa. Peace out.
4 comments:
Enjoy your passover, I'm sure you will be sorely missed in H on H. S. Gilbertson
Hey Steve!
I had no idea you guys were reading this out there in Milwaukee. Hope you and the family are doing well, and maybe we can catch up more properly sometime soon. I don't think I have your e-mail address off-hand, but I bet with the help of my parents I can track it down.
Talk to you soon!
b
1. While the Yankee's opener was a success, subsequent play has been less than ideal, and completely over shadowed by the Met's 4-0 start over first the Cardinals, and then the Braves.
2. You were missed at Passover, but our thoughts were with you.
Uncles Galore!
Post a Comment