Thursday, September 6, 2007

Slip-N-Slide

Here are a few slides from a presentation I'm putting together for work next week. The PEPFAR-sponsored organization I'm working for here is holding orientations for staff from HIV clinics all over the greater Durban area - including several of the largest townships. (a brief aside: they call it 'orientating' in SA like it's going out of style.)

We've invited nurses, doctors, HIV counselors, and clerks/data entry from each of these sites to come by and hear about the comprehensive HIV care support we're providing for each of their clinics. I've been put in charge of presenting a fair amount of the material, including an overview of the South African National Strategic Plan on HIV/AIDS. I've written about this exciting, if somewhat controversial, document before, but for those who weren't reading my blog back then - it is the South African government's attempt to piece together a comprehensive national strategy to combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

My presentation certainly isn't finished yet, but I thought you guys might be curious to read about some of the goals and details of this landmark document. (Please note: The figures from the 'Implications' slides rely on some very sketchy epidemiological modeling on my part. Don't hold it against me too much; the numbers would be pretty scary regardless of model.)








No comments: