Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Unhh! That's what I'm talkin 'bout!

Ladies and gentlemen, the first single off Al Green's soon-to-be released album, Lay It Down (5/27, Blue Note Records):



I hope the rest of the album lives up to this soulful duet with Corinne Bailey Rae. In March, Pitchfork reported that the Reverend Green collaborated with the Roots' Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson as producer/drummer on the album, in a particularly inspired move. We've also been promised some tracks featuring the Dap-Kings -- an old-school horn group, currently acting as the house band for Daptone Records based out of BK,NY. Ever hear the kicking horns on the Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones, Mark Ronson records? Yeah, that's them.

If you don't love those tight trumpet hits and spectacular honking baritone sax lines, I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. Also check out this article in Time Out NY for the Dap-Kings suggestions on where to check out some excellent vinyl in New York City. It was written by a friend, who got to spend a day with these guys. I was and continue to be outrageously jealous.

Of course I'd still love to hear any good (new or not-so-new) music recommendations you guys might have for me. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

And just for old time's sake:

No comments: